Senior Engineering Software Manager
Our client is a leading online learning platform for higher education, where 64 million learners from around the world come to learn skills of the future.
The Core Content team owns both the core authoring experience as well as several key building blocks for content on the platform, such as videos and readings. Recent projects by this team include launching an authoring change log so authors can view who made changes recently, as well as enhancing our rich text capabilities while making sure that the content authors create is accessible and mobile-friendly.
- Mentoring: Acting as a role model, aiding in career development conversations, inspiring engineers, providing feedback.
- Hiring: Building a vision of team skill sets, identifying key growth areas, managing the hiring pipeline.
- Advising: Providing technical suggestions to engineers as they grow into engineering leaders in their product work.
- Product enablement: Acting as a curator of a vision, discussing needs with stakeholders, prioritizing, driving forward on key initiatives, running sprint planning meetings, and standups.
- Platform leadership: balancing effective product feature delivery against managing tech debt and creating a high-leverage product platform to accelerate and improve many different initiatives.
- Mediating: Investigating interpersonal issues, facilitating crucial conversations.
- Bachelors in computer science or relevant degree OR 3+ years of experience as an engineering IC
- Leadership (integrity, transparency, inspiration)
- Emotional intelligence (empathy, humility, patience, communication skills)
- Problem-solving (creativity, technical rigor, intelligence)
- Excellence in ambiguous and complex situations (clarity of vision, boldness, grit)
- Experience (5+ years in product development or a related field, 3+ years in a management position)
- Experience balancing effective product feature delivery against managing tech debt and creating a high-leverage product platform
- Experience managing a team owning product platforms or components of a product platform, especially if you had firsthand experience creating and formulating the charter and ownership boundaries for such a team