We are looking to bring on an Engineering Team Lead for a new squad on our Platform Engineering backend team.
Our platform engineering team owns our search, booking, and fintech engines, tackling the most complex performance, scalability, and infrastructure backend challenges at the company. The engines handle over 1000 requests/second, ingest over 1TB/day of data and processes over $1MM/day in sales, while maintaining a 99.9+% uptime. They provide the platform on top of which our product engineering team builds product features.
The new Platform Engineering squad will consist of an Engineering Team Lead (this role) that will manage 1 senior engineer, 2 intermediate engineers, and 2 junior engineers (to be hired). The team will also mentor / host 2 engineering interns per term (but they won’t report to the Team Lead). We plan to adopt a domain-based structure for the engineers on the team, wherein we create subspecialties (domains), and each domain is led from a technical standpoint by one engineer, with multiple contributors. In addition to software engineers, the squad will also contain a Technical Account Manager responsible for overseeing 3rd party integrations, and a Technical Product Manager to support project roadmapping.
Diving into more detail, as a Platform Engineering Team Lead you will:
- Grow and manage a Python backend team of 5 engineers (+2 eng interns)
- Propel the business forward by leading high-impact projects end-to-end in a fast-paced, iterative, data-driven, startup environment
- Shape the technical roadmap for the team, contribute to roadmap and OKR discussions, and lead the engineering agile processes for the team
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and growth, ensuring team members excel with oversight and mentorship, are working on projects at the intersection of interest, skill, and business impact, and have concrete opportunities for growth
- Contribute and/or lead cross-functional projects, such as with our Supply, Finance, and Data teams
- Ensure the team’s code and release quality by completing code reviews and ensuring robust tests are written, and ensuring a sufficient release cadence for microservices owned by the team
- Strategically contribute technically - write important design docs, tackle particularly intricate components / features or services, etc.
- Contribute to cross-squad and cross-eng technical talks and discussions, and opportunities to improve engineering productivity and processes.
- We use a state of the art architecture powered by micro-services, written primarily in Python (Flask and Quart Framework), Redis, and Postgres for storage with a focus on scalability and maintainability
- We use Gitlab for version control and (along with Docker) CI/CD, and our infrastructure is hosted on AWS, making use of Kubernetes, RDS, etc
- We develop data pipelines (DAGs) and use Airflow to schedule and run them
- We invest heavily in monitoring and automated alerting using Datadog, and integrate this data into creating self-healing systems
- We log application-level information using a proprietary logging pipeline, and leverage data analysis using Snowflake & Looker to facilitate data-driven decision making and experimentation
- You have 4+ years software development experience, including 1+ years of either formal management or close mentoring of junior and intermediate software developers, and 1+ years as a Senior Software Engineer or Team / Technical Lead
- You have senior technical depth in Python
- You have backend software experience and are interested in managing a backend team
- You have been a technical lead for shipping major features / projects, and have worked with multiple codebases
- You have been involved in hiring and interview processes
- You are highly motivated / passionate, interested in continuous learning, and looking forward to working in a fast-paced startup environment, with an emphasis on delivering business value
- You have experience owning production services, working in an agile environment, collaborating cross-functionally, and SQL / analytical skills
- You are interested in 25:25:25:25 split between technical leadership, team management, people management, and individual technical contributions (shifting to 30:30:30:10 over time)
- You have strong knowledge of modern web technologies, system design & architecture, and microservices
- You are a strong communicator, for both technical and non-technical topics.