Senior Software Engineer
Who we are
We are the digital insurance company committed to transforming business insurance. With a radically simple approach, we are replacing the 1970’s technology of the insurance industry, with a first-ever end-to-end digital insurance platform that provides better coverage and reduced cost; all in minutes, not hours. Founded in 2015 and headquartered in San Francisco, we have raised over $150M of funding from leading fintech investors.
The value of this position
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will join our Platform Engineering team to transition from our existing platform to a hybrid microservices architecture (Event-driven microservices/SOA) written using Go, building event schemas, RESTful APIs, business services, data layers, document management, carrier integrations, and much more.
We work in small, cross-functional teams of 3-6 people and use Slack to stay connected.
What you will own in this role
- Display self-leadership in the ownership of design and development initiatives that you have committed to deliver, collaborating with peers and architects.
- Deliver independent microservices through decoupling capabilities associated with particular domains within the platform (pricing, payments, risk management)
- Ongoing ownership and accountability delivering highly-available systems with quality, resiliency, security, latency, and developer productivity a key focus of each service built or maintained.
What experience we think is the right fit
- 5+ years of experience in web application development
- 2+ years experience cloud-based microservices development
- Proficiency in Go
- Strong foundation in event-driven and RESTful microservice architectures
- Experience building solutions with at least one cloud platform (AWS preferred)
- Created and maintained highly available, scalable, secure, and observable services
- Hands-on experience designing and creating Event schemas and services
- Skilled in designing/building RESTful APIs
- Ability to write clean, well-designed, and high-quality code in a highly collaborative Agile development environment
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
What experience we think is nice to have
- Experience with:
- TDD and DDD
- Modern CI/CD Tools (Github Actions, Gitlab)
- APM tools (Datadog, Appdyanmics, New Relic)
- Modern Testing Frameworks (Browserstack)
- PostgreSQL or other RMDS system
- Infrastructure As Code (Ansible/Terraform/Packer or equivalent)
- Containerization and Orchestration (Docker / Kubernetes)
- React and Typescript