Senior Backend Developer (Laravel)
Our client is a health care software platform for connecting patients with home care and community services. Their software has helped over four hundred thousand patients access health care in Canada, from newborns needing health screening to seniors accessing home care.
The company is based in Orillia, Ontario. However, most of the team of ~20 people work remotely, most of the time. You can too if that is best for you.
The Senior Backend Developer is an expert in Laravel development. The company is rebuilding the entire application, module by module. You are a key part of this process. You are on a small team of frontend and backend developers, designers, and devops, working closely to build our web application
The Senior Backend Developer - Laravel builds the backend code and infrastructure for new modules for the platform. This role also researches different solution approaches, builds technical plans and collaborates with the team. They code ambitious new features, like algorithms for self screening that involve routing to relevant services across a network of agencies.
They want to create a work environment that encourages positivity, celebrates progress, supports teamwork and enables autonomy, while actively removing ways of working that may discourage our staff. This role is a key contributor to this culture in the technical team.
This role reports to the CTO.
- The platform is built using a modern Laravel API setup, with separate Frontends developed in NextJS, deployed using modern serverless platforms.
- Backend Laravel API (focus for this job position)
- The Laravel stack uses a RESTful API approach, fully tested with PHPUnit. The code is written compliant to PSR-12 standards and is enforced through styleci.com integration.
- The API is hosted using Laravel Vapor, a serverless PHP platform that uses AWS Lambda functions to respond to each request. The database is a Postgres 14 instance, and a Redis Cache cluster.
- Local API development environment is setup to use Docker, which has Postgres, Nginx, Redis, all built-in. We use Minio to mimic the S3 API for local development.
In this role, you will:
- The frontend applications are built using React/NextJS, and Typescript is used to enforce type compliance and code compliance.
- They have a deep custom design system using TailwindCSS. We share developer-ready Figma designs using Zeplin.
- Frontend test are written in Cypress and validated upon each PR request in Github. The staging and production sites are deployed on Netlify.
- FHIR API
- They uses the HL7 FHIR standard to provide open healthcare APIs. This is currently built in Java using HAPI FHIR.
- Ship APIs, integrations, and data models to support the web application
- Collaborate on system level decisions through regular architecture meetings, solving complex problems enthusiastically
- Help organize and manage agile sprints
- Write maintainable, scalable and testable code for our backend infrastructure
- Grow as a developer through mentorship of fellow developers, supporting knowledge sharing across the team
- Participate frequently in code reviews and feature demos.
- Contribute to application development activities outside of app code, including database modeling, query optimization, and other advanced requirements to ensure high performance
- Contribute to the development of the public HL7 FHIR API
- Stay up to date on latest development technologies and methodologies
- Collaborate with designers, product leaders, operations personnel and sales to deliver important features and modules for users
Bonus Points for:
- Production level experience with Laravel or other MVC framework, Postgres, PHPUnit or other PHP testing framework, API design using REST.
- Experienced using GIT and Gitworkflows
- Redis or Memcache experience
- Strong understanding of backend best practices and proven proven ability to solve complex asynchronous problems
- Understanding of coaching techniques to support other developers in best practices and advanced programming techniques,
- Proven experience in agile methodologies in software development
- Attributes you possess:
- Enthusiastic - You provide positive, high levels of energy that provides you the stamina to solve complex problems, while encouraging other team members to perform at their best
- Strong communication skills- You speak plainly and truthfully, sharing complex ideas clearly.
- Mission driven - We are transforming how people get care at home and in their community, and you are passionate about playing an integral role in a small team.
- Impact oriented - You want to execute to the highest standard and care deeply about your work having a positive practical effect.
- Detailed and Reliable: You are orderly and planful, detail-focused, and conscientious.
- AWS / CloudOps experience
- Health sector experience
- HL7 FHIR experience
- Speaking and writing French