We are currently recruiting for a Senior User Experience (UX) Designer
with a passion for telling stories visually with data to join our interdisciplinary design team.
Our UX Designers create intuitive and easy-to-use interfaces that streamline complex user tasks, focusing on the human side of data. Throughout the design process—from creating user flows and wireframes to mockups and prototypes—you’ll envision how our clients will experience our web applications and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired and refined.
Your primary role will be to collect and assess user needs; research relevant design patterns/concepts; create wireframes/mockups/prototypes to illustrate design solutions and user workflows; perform usability testing; and, incorporate user feedback into further design iterations. You have a solid understanding of UX design fundamentals such as visual design and usability. Experience with (or interest in) designing data visualizations and/or knowledge of data visualization techniques are assets. You will partner closely with other teams and peers to solve complex user problems with roots in open science and social good. You will provide mockups, prototypes, documentation and design guidance to developers, enabling them to implement designs accurately and efficiently.
Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Leveraging a human-centered design process to create easy-to-use user interfaces that streamline complex user tasks
- Research and review design patterns, concepts and competitor products
- Collecting and assessing user needs
- Developing workflows based on user needs
- Creating wireframes, prototypes, and high-fidelity mock-ups
- Designing for accessibility standards
- Developing and performing usability testing
- Keeping current with industry trends
The ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, human-computer interaction, interaction design, or a related field
- Working knowledge of UX design principles
- Graphic design tools such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- UX design tools such as Figma
- Experience with HTML/CSS would be an asset
- Experience with usability testing
- Willingness to explore industry trends in technology and design
- Familiarity with information architecture and interaction design
- Background in project research
- Ability to facilitate design brainstorming and review sessions with clients and the team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to present designs to the project team and clients
- A strong portfolio of design projects that highlights experience in designing usable, web-based interfaces
- Effective leadership, communication, and teamwork skills.