We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer with 7+ years of experience to help us build the foundation of and deliver a new product line. You should be expert in either (or both of) Front End (with React + TypeScript) or Back End (with Node + TypeScript)
The products we build have a direct impact on our user's happiness, success and satisfaction at work. Successful candidates will be working closely in a cross-functional team with other senior engineers, product managers and our UI/UX designers. They will be responsible for owning development projects from start to completion; this includes helping plan features, build services and deploy infrastructure.
The products we are building are all brand new so we have a modern tech stack implementing lots of best practices. Our apps are React Micro Front-Ends (MFE) with a multitude of backend services in Node.JS. We're fans of infrastructure-as-code, automating toil and spending time refactoring if we need to.
Your Job Responsibilities
What you will be doing:
- Lead a development pod (BE / FE developers and Test Engineer) through your hands-on expertise
- Ownership of the team’s deliverables, manage expectations and timelines, work with the team on estimation and delivery plans
- Work in a talented cross-functional team to develop new user-facing features using TypeScript on the frontend and back-end in Node
- Write automated unit tests and end-to-end tests for your code and services. Quality is incredibly important to us and everybody is responsible for it.
- Participate in agile ceremonies; regularly and sustainably delivering value in two-week sprints.
- Help influence the overall architecture and direction of the codebase as well as the wider product.
- Help establish best practices, guidelines, and processes to allow the team focus on what they do best - building the application
- Mentor and guide other team members to help them grow in their career
- Take on people management responsibilities (1-1s, performance reviews, etc)
What makes you a great fit for the team:
- You like to deliver great user experience and build scalable applications
- You have a track record of delivering quality software while leading and managing successful development teams
- You are user focused – we solve our customer’s problems together; everybody has a say in planning, design & execution.
- 7+ years of overall experience.
- 4+ years of experience with React and/or Node and strong in TypeScript
- You love identifying new technologies, patterns, and techniques and planning out how we can apply them to improve productivity, code quality and user experience
- Affinity for profiling and analyzing code to identify areas for improvement.
- Good understanding of CI/CD, unit testing (with Jest), and automated end-to-end testing using a framework like Cypress.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of functional programming patterns.
- Excited by working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Able to occasionally travel to our other offices in UK, New Delhi, and San Francisco
We’d especially like to hear from you if:
- You have proven excellence in writing readable and efficient TypeScript code.
- You have a good track record of project leadership and mentorship of software engineers.
- You have experience working with microservices and micro-frontends in production.
- You are familiar with feature flag tools such as Harness
- You have worked with frameworks / libraries such as css-modules, Next.js