We are seeking a Principal DevOps Engineer, with a proven track-record of building from the ground up cloud infrastructure with hands-on DevOps and Cloud Engineering experience.
Reporting directly to the Director, Solution Architecture, the individual will partner with key technology partners to collaboratively engage, model, drive, and operationalize solutions across the organization. You will be extremely motivated, hands-on, subscribe to a continuous learning mindset, and apply leading practices and technologies to your work. You will bring in-depth experience in cloud engineering, automation, and cybersecurity. You also possess deep experience in medium-to-large enterprise-level complex technology environment(s).
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced DevOps engineer to join a team of high performing professionals to make a great impact.
This role hybrid and based in downtown Toronto with Work-From-Home flexibility (~2 days in office).
The Principal DevOps engineer will be responsible for a variety of duties, including but not limited to the following:
- Standardization, automation, and operationalization of cloud deployments in our hosting environment Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Building, managing, and running infrastructure-as-code pipelines using Terraform
- Own & operate critical back-end platform services such as networking, security, org policies, common services, etc.
- Implement tools and design processes that help improve monitoring and system resiliency. Monitoring CI/CD pipelines for failures
- Design service level objectives and report on corresponding service-level health indicators
- Designing and implementing network security (VPC, Firewall, VPC-SC) changes in GCP
- Assisting project teams with integration of application pipelines
- Managing our source code and CI/CD platform – GitLab
- Managing GitLab operations including GitFlow change management workflows
- Research and understand industry trends and their applicability to support operational efficiencies for the enterprise
- Effectively communicate technical decision-making processes and solution designs to various audiences
- Contribute to UPP’s reputation as a respectful employer, partner, and participant in the financial sector
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma, undergraduate or graduate degree in Engineering, IT Management or related field
- 5+ years of experience as a SRE, Infrastructure Engineer, or systems engineer with computing, storage, network, and security in a production environment
- 3+ years of experience with GCP or equivalent cloud infrastructure
- 3+ years of DevOps or deployment orchestration experience
- 2+ years of infrastructure-as-code experience with tools like Terraform
- 1-2 years of experience with cloud-managed Kubernetes environments (GKE, AKS, EKS)
- 1-2 years of experience with GitLab and GitLab CI/CD components (e.g. Runners)
- Knowledge of cloud networking including VPCs, VPC Firewalls, micro-segmentation patterns and private connectivity
- Experience with creating and testing Disaster Recovery and High Availability strategies
- Experience with Azure Active Directory or equivalent identity providers, and SSO integration
- Experience with Linux, shell scripting and system administration
- Experience with monitoring/observability tools such as GCP Cloud Ops, Azure Monitor (Log Analytics), DataDog, New Relic, Splunk etc.
- Proven leadership skills, with ability to drive results while cultivating a culture of collaboration and teamwork
- Self-motivated with a hands-on attitude
- A lifelong learner with keen interest in learning, applying new business practices, and leading technologies
- A strong communicator both in written and verbal communication
- Strong commitment to innovation and continuous improvement
- Pro-active problem solver
- Ownership mindset
- Commitment to excellence